The Student Council of the University is a permanent executive collegiate body of student self-government at the Odessa National Medical University.
Student self-government in the ONMedU is an integral part of the University’s public self-government. It provides protection of the rights and interests of students, their participation in the management of the university.
The purpose of student self-government is to create conditions for the self-realization of the student’s personality and the formation of their organizational skills, leadership qualities, responsibility for the result of their work, etc.
The activities of student self-government bodies are aimed at improving the educational process, improving its quality, ensuring the education of students’ spirituality and culture,
The main tasks of student self-government bodies are:
- Provision and protection of the rights and interests of students;
- Control over compliance by students with academic discipline, performance of their duties, requirements of the provisions of the “Internal Rules of the University”, “Moral Code of Ethics for Persons Working and Studying at the Odessa National Medical University”, other normative and legal documents operating at the university And apply to students;
- Assistance in creating the appropriate conditions for students’ living and rest;
- Assistance to educational, scientific, creative, sports-health, organizational-sanitary and educational activities of students;
- Creation and promotion of activity of student scientific circles, societies, associations, clubs of interests;
- Organization of leisure for students: holding of parties for rest, discos, competitions, holidays, disputes, discussions, conferences, sports events, days of faculties, etc.;
- Representation and participation in the work of the Academic Council of the University, the Academic Councils of the Faculties, the University’s Public Administration, scholarship commissions and other collegial bodies of the University and its structural units;
- Coordination of work with the union of students, students’ public and youth organizations operating at the university;
- Ensuring participation of students in the implementation of state youth policy and organization of cooperation with student self-government bodies of other higher educational institutions, representatives of All-Ukrainian Student Self-Government Councils under the Ministry of Health, Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine, public and youth organizations;
- Participation in solving international student exchange issues.
Principles of the Student Council of the University:
- Voluntariness, collegiality, openness;
- Autonomy in solving issues that fall within the competence of student self-government bodies, independence in the form of products and methods of exercising powers;
- Independence from political parties, movements, religious organizations;
- Election and reporting of representative bodies of student self-government;
- Equal rights of students to participate in student self-government, including the right to elect and be elected to the visiting representative bodies;
- Cooperation with the head, relevant services and individual officials of the OSMedU (curators of academic groups, the administration of the institution and its structural subdivisions: dormitories, faculties, departments, departments, etc.).
Student self-government at the University acts in accordance with the Constitution of Ukraine, the Laws of Ukraine “On Education”, “On Higher Education”, orders of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine, including No. 1010 of 15.11.2007 “On Approval of the Model Provision on Student Self-Government in Higher Educational Institutions Ukraine “, the orders of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine, the Statute of the University and the” Regulations on Student Self-Government in ONMED “. The only collegiate body of student self-government of ONMedU is the general meeting (conference) of the Students. Representative bodies of student self-government are created on the initiative of Students on a voluntary basis. The selection of representative bodies of student self-government is carried out by the general meeting of students through an open vote.